Diverting families from having to enter emergency shelter
Another way BEDS Plus prevents homelessness is through our Homelessness Diversion program. Diversion funding is used to keep families from having to enter the emergency overnight shelter system. They are literally homeless — usually for the first time — and through quick, short-term intervention that secures a motel room, they are stabilized and re-housed through other funding streams.
Diversion funds shelter a family through a residential motel or other non-sheltered living arrangement until they have qualified to enter a Rapid Rehousing or Permanent Supportive Housing program, typically within 30 days.
Families eligible for Homelessness Diversion services receive:
- regular case management support and service connection with health, behavior health and life skills training
- care coordination with school and community-based providers
- assistance with employment search and educational opportunities
To qualify for Homelessness Diversion, the following documentation is required:
- Documentation of imminent homelessness or need for emergency shelter
- Commitment to a plan for self-sufficiency within the program term.
“NEED DIVERSION PULL QUOTE HERE XXXX XXXX XXXX.”
— XXX, XXXX