IHDA 2021 Illinois Rental Payment Program
The Illinois Housing Development Authority’s 2021 Illinois Rental Payment Program is an emergency rental assistance program designed to support households in Illinois that are unable to pay rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Applications will be accepted from tenants June 28 through July 18.
To apply, please visit the application site at https://ilrpp.ihda.org.
Applicants are eligible for up to 15 months of assistance. The grant can cover the past due rent from the previous 12 months and future rental assistance for the next three months, if deemed necessary. The maximum grant amount is $25,000. The emergency rental assistance is provided by the Federal government and is free to tenant and housing provider. If approved, the grant will be paid to the housing provider in the form of a check.
In order to receive financial assistance through ILRPP, tenants must meet all of the following:
- Household is behind on their rent for at least 30 days
- Household lives in Illinois and rents their home as their primary residence
- Household’s total gross income cannot exceed 80% Area Median Income for location
- Household must have experienced a financial hardship directly — or indirectly — due to the pandemic, for example:
- Being laid off
- Place of employment has closed
- Reduction in hours of work
- Loss of spousal/child support
- Inability to find work due to COVID-19
- Having to stay home with children due to closure of day care/school
- Unable to participate in previous employment due to the workplace’s high risk of severe illness from COVID-19
- At risk of homelessness or housing instability
- Housing Providers
- Evidence of past-due rent
- Copy of 2019 Property Tax Bill or 2021 monthly mortgage statement
- Grant payment information for check distribution
- Current signed lease (if available)
- SSN or ITIN
- Employer Identification Number (if payment is made to a business entity)
- Rental unit information (unit type, address, rent amount)
- Fully executed and current property management agreement (if payment is made to a property manager)
- Valid email address
- Government-issued photo ID
- A utility bill or proof of address (if the address on your ID is not your current address)
- Monthly rent and amount past-due
- Proof of household income in 2020
- Proof of public assistance (if applicable)
- Valid email address
- Proof of immigration status (or social security number) is not required
The application will be a joint application from the housing provider and the tenant.
LEARN HOW TO APPLY
- Attend a webinar. Click here for dates and login details.